Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Quinuituq means deep patience

I expect all my blog readers including my french readers to be as curious as I am about the Inuit and their culture. Please share this interest with as many people as you can.

My plan for the near future is to share myself in conferences about the Inuit culture. I also want to hold pictures shows to give people a fair idea of where and what the Inuit go through and do readings of Inuit legends in parks and events along my 8000 kilometers walk.

This blog “quinuituq.org” is an Inuit address meaning “deep patience”. From my own viewpoint, deep patience means to envision something that is meant to happen as a long-term project, such as when one plans a trip around the world. It is something that will happen in time.

Closer to me are all the thoughts that have gone through this coming project. I came back down from the North in late 2010 and I have been planning this project since, but because I wasn't sure of the form the project would take, there was a need to think it through. Deep patience was a necessary asset in this case.

This project for which I have had to develop deep patience concerns the welfare of the Inuit mothers and their children. There are many things about the Inuit situation I would like you to know a lot more of.

Many factors contribute to the social problems of the north: the housing situation, the employment picture, the birth rate. The statistics are enlightening: 65.9% of the population is under 30; the cost of household items is 97% higher than anywhere else in Quebec; housing overcrowding has reached an alarming rate of 68%. What and how would we live if we had to contend with 11 to 15 other persons living with us in a two-bedroom apartment?

Therefore, I will refer you to articles written by journalists about those situations. This 269 page report is particularly enlightening.  Since it concerns the people of the north, my project has to be of use to the Inuit.





No comments:

Post a Comment